Thursday, July 8, 2010

Week 3: Reflections

So far this class has been really interesting.  I feel like I've learned more about how to look at situations considering a panopticon and I've heard a couple of different sides about issues like racism and gender.  I feel like we didn't really get very far in talking about racism, partially because it's such a touchy subject and the class can tell you have a strong opinion on it which probably makes us scared to say anything about it.  I mean, Washington is such a white place and at least for me, I learned about racism in a classroom with a lot of other middle class to priveleged white people which makes talking about it in this class more interesting but so much harder.  I also thought it was interesting how people are so much more willing to discuss gender and furthermore video games because video games are so inoffensive compared to the other topics that we talk about.  I guess I want to continue having discussions about these subjects but maybe there are ways to make it easier for people to talk, which we do with the online chats, but I still feel like some people are hesitant to speak up even in chatrooms.  Anyways, I guess mostly what I have to say is keep doing what we're doing, I don't really have much other feedback and I look forward to whatever we'll be talking about in upcoming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment