Friday, June 25, 2010

Week 1-Foucault's Panopticism and Southland Tales

Despite the fact that this is the second or third time I've read Foucault's panopticism, I still don't really see what it has to do with digital media and culture today.  We read Foucault in DTC 355 as well, so it must have something to do with it, I guess I just don't really get it yet.  In modern times, surveillance seems to be a result of panopticism, as well as the structure of schools, prisons, etc.  People in general seem to think that panopticism is a bad thing, but I think that letting people do what they want wouldn't work, kind of like what happened with communism.  I feel like you can't really count on people to do anything outside of their own personal benefit without someone enforcing it.  If schools weren't structured, people wouldn't go to school.  My high school was an experimental school in the 1970s when it was built, and originally, it had no walls.  It also had outdoor areas where classes were held.  However, attendance wasn't required and in the end the different school design was a failure.


I believe an example of panopticism in Southland Tales is US IDent which uses surveillance to keep track of all the citizens.  Also, I think the neo-marxist movement is an example of what happens when someone tries to break out of the panopticon, similar to the experimental school structure from the 70s.  However, the neo-marxist's attempts to break out are all observed, so in a way it's a failure.  Venice Beach seemed like an odd place to set the film because I've been there and it doesn't really seem like the place for a rebel movement to be housed.  Maybe there's some symbolic meaning to that as well.  We didn't quite finish the movie so I'm not sure how it ends, but that's what I could relate to panopticism so far!

1 comment:

  1. We'll go deeper with Panopticism and digital culture, as the session moves on. No sweat.

    I chose this movie because it is odd...and because it features US IDent which is a fictional extension of the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act. Deirdre, you have inspired the beginning of Monday's class discussion.

    ~S~

    ReplyDelete